Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sick of Clique


Take a look at our Church, and even our own friendships, do we not see concentrations of people who share many of the same EARTHLY preferences? I like to hang out with my friends, play and watch sports, talk about the bible, and laugh a lot. What about ETERNAL preferences?

I took a break last year from serving on the Traffic Ministry within my Church. One of the many reasons I did this is because I noticed some un-Godly aspects in my service. Specifically, I was not only part of a clique within the ministry but this clique was filled with gossip, self-centered ideas and belittlement of leadership within the Church.

I was wrong but I’m better now!

I do not think there is anything wrong with having friends that enjoy the same types of things as we do. However, as a Christian we should never unite on the basis of anything above God’s Word and we should not exclude people or isolate ourselves from people who love and cherish Christ. Sometimes, I have to ask myself if the basis for my friendships and relationships are earthly or eternal.

Many of us are extremely biblical and God-centered in our ideals, but regrettably include a self-centered, self-pleasing, earth-clinging practice with our relationships.
Colossians 3 paints the picture that there are no distinctions between, “Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.”

Most of these designations are self-explanatory, except for the Scythians…the wild bunch. This clique was bad news. The Scythians were professional killers. They were worse than barbarians. They would make Al Qaeda look like boy scouts! They killed tribes of people, drank their blood and used their sculls for bowls and peeled off skin for napkins.

Yuck!!!

Yet, Paul says, “You are one in Christ. Go ahead and sit next to them. Talk with them. Share a meal with them.”

We have a tendency to like people that look like us, act like us, like what we like, and are similar to us; however, the Christian life is not about like or similarities…it’s about love!

The point of the gospel is not to unite people according to the flesh, but rather to unite people in Jesus Christ. If I am a cliquey person then I am enjoying exclusive relationships with folks while also excluding others whom Christ has brought together.

Being discriminative of persons undermines a major aspect of what Christ has bought and paid for with his life! We have a tendency to promote personal preferences to a position of supremacy and put Christ’s purpose in a position of submission. This should not be.

Paul says in Colossians, “Christ is all, and in all.”

Our motive for relationships with other believers should be Christ and my desire for our time together should be the pleasure in Christ. Replacing Christ and his pleasure for our own puts us in idolatry. Unfortunately, this idolatry is seen clearly in many church cliques but more subtly in our relationships.

We need to be Christ-like and Bible-Boasters in everything with everyone. If you are a ‘cliquey’ person, get over it!

Devote yourself and fall in love with Christ and speak his love to all!

Make it a priority to exalt Christ with what you have ETERNALLY in common with folks. This will no doubt forge greater humility and love in Christ.

No comments: