Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Overwhelming Prayer


We can be overwhelmed by any number of things. We can be overwhelmed with busyness, and overwhelmed by fear. You ever feel like saying, "Enough is enough! I can’t take this anymore?”

I’m going to tell you a story from the bible that can help with this overwhelming issue.  Jehoshaphat is the king of Judah and Ruler over the city of Jerusalem. He feels so strongly about his faith, that when he appointed priests and judges throughout the land, he challenged them.

2 Chronicles 19:6, He says "You’re not working for me. You’re working for the Lord. So make sure that you follow Him faithfully with all your heart." Amen!!!

Not long after this the king finds out that the country is under attack. The Moabites, Ammonites and some Meunitescame to make war on Jehoshaphat. These people have been enemies of Judah for hundreds of years. And now, they are joining forces to form a vast army. And their one unified purpose is to wipe the people of God off the face of the earth! To kill the Jewish people once and for all!

Jehoshaphat was alarmed…Sometimes God wants us to be alarmed so that He might get our undivided attention. But sometimes, people respond by panicking. They say "I can’t believe this is happening! I’m in way over my head! I’m not going to make it!"

Sometimes we respond to overwhelming situations by trying to handle everything ourselves. We say, "If I was the one calling all the shots to begin with, we wouldn’t be in this predicament! I can solve this problem all by myself. All you have to do is listen to me!"

Panicking; being a control freak is not the way to handle overwhelming situations. The way to handle this…we need to do what Jehoshaphat did. He calls upon the entire nation to come together for a national day of prayer and fasting. In other words, the king is saying, "I am determined to hand this entire situation over to God! I am going to call upon the one person in the whole universe who can do something to change our circumstances!"

And he says, "Oh, Lord, you are the God of heaven. You rule over the kingdoms of the earth. Power and might are in your hand. But now, we are under attack by the very same people you told us to refrain from attacking many years ago. And look how they are repaying us! O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." (2 Chronicles 20:1 – 30)

I know this is pretty basic but including myself in this question….Why aren’t we doing this?

When we start feeling overwhelmed by the worries of this life, we need to stop trying to fix everything ourselves. We need to stop fretting over the things that are out of our hands. And we need to put everything back into God’s hands.

When the people of God pray, the power of God is on display.

So, how does this story end? READ IT…. (2 Chronicles 20) you won’t be disappointed!

When it’s God in action its God is good!  When God is first in the lives of Men in Action, its God is good!

(Please take note: whether we put God first in action or not…God WILL take action.)

L,Too many times, we tell ourselves, "I don’t need any help. I can handle this. I’m a grown person. I’m responsible." And we either end up falling flat on our faces. Or the stress associated with handling everything ourselves takes its toll on our well-being.

How many problems in your life have become worse than they needed to be because you didn’t hand them over to God in prayer? How many times have you tried unsuccessfully to manipulate your circumstances when all you really needed to do was to give them over to the Lord?

God loves you so much, that He WANTS to hear your prayers!

Amen?

No comments: