Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Unexpected Rewards


Graduating High School is a big accomplishment. Some graduates receive new cars, vacations and other expensive items as a reward for graduating. One of my friends from school received a book (it was a good one but I don’t remember which one…maybe a BIBLE?) for his graduation, yet he wanted this new car he had seen at a car lot. Upset, he threw the book down and stormed out of the house. Upset with the gift, he didn’t visit or talk to his family for years.

Last year his father passed away. At the funeral, his Mom handed him the book his father had gotten him for his graduation. In tears, he opened the book. On the very first page was a signed blank check. The inscription of the front page read, “Congratulations son, I’m so proud of you! Take this check and buy the vehicle of your choice…Dad.”

Matthew 7:11, "And if ye, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Heavenly Father which is in heaven, give to those who ask Him?"

I don’t get it, what’s with REWARDS anyways?

When I do things with the motivation of getting noticed by others then that’s all the reward I get. When I do things for God, with the right motivation of genuine love for Him and others, then I am rewarded by God immediately, and others see just how great God is, not me.

Matthew 6:2-6 “When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth; they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.”

WOW!!! Did you just read that…? I don’t think we need to sit here and try to interpret what he’s saying here. It’s pretty plain. He’s not talking about rewards in heaven like mansions when we die, but some kind of IMMEDIATE REWARDS! Could be in terms of growth in our life and a sense of having made a difference in the world as well as a great witness to others concerning Christ. Isn’t that a great reward too?

Rewards in heaven are great, but I’m human and sometimes I desire a little reward here too. Maybe that’s just me. I have to constantly remind myself though, it’s not about me. To God goes the glory!

Proverbs 25:27 “It’s not good to eat too much honey, and it’s not good to seek honors for yourself.”

Exalting yourself seems to be the same kind of motivation that Satan had. Doing things for God JUST to get rewards isn’t right either. I’d rather do things knowing that is what God calls me to do. Because I love Him! Not because I’m trying to earn His approval.

When my son cleans his room without me asking; when he keeps his bike locked up without me reminding him; and when he tells me he loves me without me having to say it first. Is he doing it for rewards from Daddy? Well, sometimes. But he also understands that as my son, he has responsibilities in being a son of Paul. Just like we have responsibilities in being sons and daughters of God.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 - “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of His return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to His appearing.”

Now I have never physically run a race, that’s not something Paul calls fun. But when you are running a race or competing in a competition or sport, when do you receive your reward. In the beginning; during; or at the end? When you finish the race, who rejoices with you? Family, friends and people you may have just met.

It seems to me that when we serve God with the right motivation, even though we do it quietly and not openly, then God rewards us openly and others see that God has blessed us. This becomes a great witness to others here and now.

God grants us rewards on earth and in heaven…but in my eyes, we have already been given the greatest reward.

Eternal Life!

No comments: