Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What holds back your freedom?


Ours is a great nation because it has been built upon the principles of Scripture. The opening words of the Declaration of Independence declare that they held “these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” Our nation’s forefather’s found that Scripture spoke about freedom and they foresaw America to be a place where freedom would be the foundation of everything they sought to do.

Even with this as a foundation for our country, there is one freedom that America cannot give its citizens. In fact, no government on the face of the earth can supply the freedom that Jesus talked about in John 8.

Verses: 31 – 36: To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?" Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

One of the most difficult things we struggle with is guilt and shame. No matter how many freedoms our nation gives us, it cannot give us the freedom from the shame and guilt imposed upon us by our sins. Sin has a terrible ability to dominate our lives. Drag us down and to destroy us.

Romans 6:17 puts it: “…you used to be slaves to sin…. Keyword: “Used to”.

For me, there USED TO be a nagging question…”How could God ever forgive me?”

There is a word that has become quite popular in our culture that describes it. That word is “Karma.” Every world religion is based upon that fundamental idea. Galatians 6:7 says “Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.” You get what you deserve. Other world religions teach that you can work off your “bad Karma”. They teach that you really can do enough good to outweigh the bad.

There are a couple of issues with this mindset:

1.       If you end up doing too many “bad” things in your life… you may never be able to balance out.

2.       Karma never really “removes” any of the sin from a person’s life. Karma teaches that when you’ve put bad deeds on one side of the scale you have to put good ones on the other side.

Things will get so heavy they will break. That is what can happen to people who rely too heavily on balancing the spiritual scales of their lives. There becomes too much weight for the scales of their conscience to handle, and this can literally cripple them mentally.

God will forgive us our sins – not because we deserve it, or have done enough good to outweigh our sins. God will forgive us for only one reason: He loves us.

Here’s another nagging question I USED TO have: “How many times will God forgive me when I sin?”

Peter once asked Jesus how many times he had to forgive someone else. And do you remember what Jesus answered? 70 times 7 … 490 times. Do you realize that by the time we forgave somebody that many times, we’d probably forget what they’d done to offend us the first time? If God holds us to that standard in our lives, don’t you think God Himself would hold Himself to a much higher standard when it came to our sins?

One the reasons people don’t confess their sins to God is that they believe that once God “finds out” what they’d done, God wouldn’t forgive them. That’s just foolish – there isn’t anything God doesn’t see or hear. You can’t HIDE your sin from God. All we lose, by not confessing our sins to Him, is the freedom He can give us from the shackles of shame and guilt that come from those sins.

When I was younger, a friend and I were throwing rocks outside of school. I threw a rock at a cat and killed it. I felt bad I had no idea whose cat it was and my friend knew about how I felt. For the next few weeks whenever he wanted something from me, he would threaten me with telling others about the cat. Finally, I couldn’t stand it anymore and confessed all to the Principal at my school. Funny, he said he saw the whole thing but had forgiven me already. He hadn’t said anything because he wanted to see how long I’d allow my friend to make a slave of me…

I thought my confession would destroy me, but it was the confession that actually set me free.

No comments: