Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

An Encouraging word


When I was in elementary school, my best friend had the most unusual name. For privacy reasons, I’m not going to divulge his name but trust me…it was odd. He was also the son of an unwed mother. Besides having an unusual name, in a time where divorce was almost unheard of, he was singled out as a fatherless child. The other kids would pick on him; make up new names for him but the comment that I knew hurt the most was, “Who’s your daddy?”

When asked that, he would withdraw within himself and tears would form. He never participated in any before or after school activities. He withdrew from everyone but me.  Even though I attempted to build him up and he trusted our friendship, he always questioned my sincerity.

In 6th grade, we started changing classes in school instead of sitting in the same room all day. One of the classes was Music Appreciation taught by Mr. Friedell, the schools choir master and also my church’s Worship Leader. While calling role call to identify the students, he came upon my friend’s name. Stopping, Mr. Friedell looked at him and with a puzzled look asked him, “Do I know your father?”

Of course this just devastated my friend. As the tears were running down his face, Mr. Friedell spoke, which I consider to this day, as being led by the Holy Spirit.  He stated, “Oh yes…You’re a Child of God”! It was like someone just turned off the water fountain. A smile came over my friend face and for the first time outside his family and friends, I saw a look of joy!

Later, my friend started attending my church and participating in the school and church choir. I had never realized how great a tenor voice he had. After High school we went our separate ways, I went to the US Navy and he accepted a scholarship to Julliard School…a private conservatory college in New York for aspiring musicians, actors and dancers.  Today, he is a Professor of Music at a prestigious New England University… a Christian full of joy!

Isn’t it amazing how one word of encouragement can change your life?

1 Thessalonians 2:11, 12 For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.

As Christians we need all the encouragement we can get! We need encouragement because it’s easy to become discouraged.

So, how do we encourage?

1.       We encourage people by using PLEASANT words without spite. Proverbs 12:25, “Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down, but a good word makes it glad.”

2.       We encourage people by recognizing what God has DONE through them.

3.       We encourage people with GRATITUDE for how they have blessed us. 2 Thes.1:3, “We ought always to thank God for you, brothers, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love every one of you has for each other is increasing.

4.       We encourage people by BELIEVING in them. 2 Tim. 4:11, “Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry.”

5.       We encourage people by speaking well of them to OTHERS. 2 Corinthians 9:2, “for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the Macedonians, namely, that Achaia has been prepared since last year, and your zeal has stirred up most of them.”

6.       We encourage people by NOT discouraging them. Proverbs. 16:21 the wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction.

7.       We encourage people by listening to them, praying for them, and taking their concerns SERIOUSLY!



Some people think that frustrating others will make them try harder, that saying, “You can’t do that” will challenge them to succeed. This is not a true statement.



A study was done by psychologist Dr. Henry H. Goddard, on energy levels in children. He found that when tired children are given a word of praise or encouragement, it showed an immediate upward surge of new energy. When the children are criticized and discouraged, it showed their physical energy take a sudden nose-dive.


Those results could be probably be duplicated in adults. When we are praised our energy levels go up. When we are criticized our energy levels go down.


I challenge you to encourage other more and more. I challenge you to energize God’s kids!




No comments: