Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Won't you be my Neighbor?



I got up very early this morning, about 5 am… not willingly mind you. You see my neighbor decided this would be a good time to discuss the news of the day with his wife. The only reason I know this is because he yelled, “you wouldn’t know the news if it bit you on your butt!” This argument, though I really couldn’t hear the details, went on for almost 2 hours.

As I listened to this, I settled into my easy chair, to read the Word of God. Having just finished the book of Philippians, I was undecided on what to read. As a force of habit, when I am not sure what to read, I go to the last place I read in Proverbs.

I do this mainly for inspiration and Proverbs really knows how to set the day in motion as well. I started reading in Chapter 27, this is where things got interesting. I read about not being Boastful, praise, friendship and then…. I got to verse 14.

Proverbs 27:14
If anyone loudly blesses their neighbor early in the morning,
it will be taken as a curse.

Whoa…

You know, I could just stop writing this, right here. Of course, though, I have more to say. Since I first moved here in December of last year, I’ve never met any of my neighbors. Most of them are of Hispanic heritage and speak Spanish most of the time. I probably know 2 words in Spanish.

Should this keep me from speaking to them? Probably not!

Then it hit me, This sounds like the “Good Samaritan” parable in Luke 10. It just gets me that the priest and the Levite walk right by that wounded man. And do absolutely nothing! I mean, these guys are ordained Pastors! If you can’t trust a Pastor to help you, I guess you can’t trust anyone.

But for whatever reason, they don’t want to get involved! Kind of like….me?

Maybe the priest said, "Well, there’s a Levite coming up right behind me. Maybe he’ll do it." And maybe the Levite said, "Well, the priest up ahead of me didn’t do anything, so I guess I don’t have to, either." And I’m sure they had their excuse in their own mind why they didn’t get involved in this man’s trouble. (Maybe a Spanish Christian will speak to them!)

You know, when it comes to my new neighbors, I don’t want to get involved either.

Yet, we need to remember that being there for someone may mean sacrificing some of our time, talents and… er… treasure. The following situation may happen to you someday. You’re going to leave church. And you’re going to get something to eat. And there’s going to be a waitress who needs a kind word. Because she’s had a rough day. Or someone’s going to call you on the telephone. And they’re going to need 30 minutes of your love and support. Or you’re going to get an instant message or an email from someone you know who is really hurting right now.

What will you do? Will you seize the moment? Or will you blow it off? And make excuses for yourself as to why you can’t get involved?

I’ve been a Christian for 30 years. Almost half my life. God doesn’t put people in your life by accident. Every encounter we have with a person has the potential to be a divine appointment. A meeting blessed by God.

The Samaritan did 2 things. He invested his time. And he invested his money. He didn’t just throw a few coins at him and walk away. And he didn’t just drop him off at the front door of the hotel and move on. He stayed all night with him. Took care of him. He was a day late to where he was going. And he left enough money for the guy to stay a few weeks.

And I like how he didn’t just leave a whole wad of money. So that the innkeeper could take advantage of him. He left 2 silver coins. Just enough to meet the need. What really blows me away is that he did all this for a guy he didn’t even know! He was a total stranger!

We need to ask ourselves, "What is my Christianity doing for another person? What is my Christianity doing for the people that God has placed in my path? Or in my neighborhood? Or at my school?"

There are many ways that you and I can be Good Samaritans. You can donate blood, you can make a visit to one of the local nursing homes. You know, visit with some of the lonely residents. You can spend a Saturday morning, reaching out to those in need. You can get involved and feed the homeless.

But….you ask me….. why would I want to do these things? Why should I go out of my way to be kind and loving to people I don’t even know? And worse than that, what if I do know them? What if I know them. And I don’t like them? Give me one good reason why I should be a good neighbor to someone like that?" What if I don’t understand a word they say?

HA!

You should be a good neighbor because God has been a good neighbor to you. God has blessed you in so many ways. He’s given you a family. Friends. A job. A supportive community. What could be wrong with showing a little gratitude? What could be wrong with giving back a small portion of what God has given to us?

Wait, wait, and wait…. Paul! but I don’t have a good job or a job at all. Think on this:

Does God come first in your life?
Doesn’t Jesus speak of taking care of the needy?
Do you think, if you take care of God’s children… God will take care of you?

Brothers and sisters… I have proof! I am a living example of God’s blessings. I know your not supposed to test God but I did. I said, “Ok God, I need some serious redirection in my life. I am claiming your purpose and plan for me TODAY! I will put others needs before my own.”

This concerned me at first, where was I going to get the resources to pull this off… DOH!

But I was steadfast, patient and very determined to prove this! God provided for every one of my needs as a result…..EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! And I can prove it!

In the last verse of the parable, Jesus tells us, "Go and do likewise." This is the way we’re supposed to live. This is the standard. Let me ask you: Have you hit this standard every single time? Have you given your time and treasure and your talent to every single person that you’ve ever seen in need? Of course not! We’ve all fallen short of what God would have us to be.

That’s why you and I need a Good Samaritan, also. Our Good Samaritan is Jesus Christ. He is a good neighbor to everyone who accepts him.

So should I break the language barrier with my neighbors? Should I love them? Can I at least pray for them? YES, YES, YES! But before I approach them it might be handy to have a translator with me……Jesus Christ!

No comments: