Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Has your Relation-ship come in?




It’s easy for me to be unsocial. Too easy! My work, my son and my daily life lately, have been drawing me away from other people. I have been locking myself in my office, at home, and shutting out the outside world. I have released myself from some of the responsibilities and offerings. I am restraining my service heart.

This has strained my relationships with my friends, God and even from developing newer relationships. As a result, I hurt myself and others. Please, forgive me!

Relationships are God inspired but they can also hurt. The closer you get to people, the deeper those people can hurt you. We build up walls because we’re afraid of being betrayed or laughed at, being judged or abandoned. So we avoid real community with other Christians, places where we really let down our guard get involved in the lives of other Christians.

In the first chapter of Philippians, Paul starts right off talking about relationships. That is because relationships are important. If relationships are bad – life is bad – life stinks. If relationships are strained – emotions are strained. Life in itself is difficult enough – but when you add relationship problems into the mix – problems just seem to compound. Problems with people can kill the joy in your life.

Do you enjoy the people you’re around? Do you enjoy the people that you work with? Do you enjoy the people in your family? Do you enjoy the person that you’re married to?

The issue I find is that many relationships are more a matter of endurance than enjoyment. We don’t really enjoy the people in our lives – we tolerate them – we put up with them – we endure them.

This is one of the biggest causes of unhappiness in our world. Conflict kills happiness. There is a daily struggle to live in a world where there is no conflict. Whether it is nation against nation or family member against another family member to live conflict free is a struggle.

How do you handle the conflict? To have a successful business the employees must get along and work together. To have a successful football team the players must work together. To have successful government the congress and the president must cooperate. To have a successful family the members must work together. To have a successful church we must work together. Very little is accomplished in life by yourself. Very little is accomplished without cooperation. When there is unity there is tremendous power and potential. The problem is people don’t always get along – they don’t always co-operate. How do you strive for unity? How do you reduce conflict and increase cooperation?

In Philippians chapter two Paul talks about how to have unity and co-operation with others

“Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.” Philippians 2:1-2

Paul says we are to be like minded. We are to show the love to one another – because Christ has loved us. We are to display mercy and grace – because that is what God has shown us. We are to put on the mind of Christ and if we did that we will be like-minded – in unity and harmony.

“Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.” Philippians 2:3

All too often we compete with people who are supposed to be on our team. What type of team will ever win if they a busy competing with themselves – rather than working together?

“Don’t be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.” Philippians 2:4

Don’t just be interested in what is going on your life - but be interested in the lives of other people too. Look out for them.

The Greek word for “look” is "scopos" from which we get the word "scope” – like the scope on a rifle. A Telescope – a microscope – both helps you see things better. Care about the lives of other people. Pay attention to their needs.

Demonstrate consideration of others. Be considerate of each other. Watch out for one another. Take care of one another. Nothing I’m saying is new – but doing it is harder than saying it. Face the facts…

God wants us to enjoy people!

How do we do that? Here are 4 points that God encourages us to enjoy other people:

1) Be Thankful - “I thank my God upon every remembrance of you.” Philippians 1:3-4
2) PRAY for the people in your life - “I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy.” Philippians 1:3-4
3) Be PATIENT with the people in your life - “He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” Philippians 1:6
4) LOVE the people in your life - “Above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Help me out here...

lets work on our relationship in Christ and each other.

No comments: