Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Monday, January 7, 2013

A Perfekt Parent


A Perfekt Parent

·        The chances of a peanut butter sandwich falling jelly side down is directly proportionate to the cost of the carpeting.

·        Your child always remembers to take garbage out when the Trash truck has just passed your house.

·        Sick children recover remarkably fast as the doctor walks in the room.

·        Chances of being seen by someone dramatically increase based on the unkempt state of your hair on the way to school.

 

Sound crazy; it’s all part of being a parent.  A few years ago I was demonstrating the art of the whoopee cushion with my son (does this shock you…..passing gas humor is great entertainment with a father and son). The phone rang and my son sprang up to get it. As I proudly listened to his conversation I realized, he was talking to a Pastor of our church. The Pastor must have asked if I was around and my son proudly announced, “Yes….he’s showing me how to make Whoopee!!!

 

By the way…I DO NOT claim to be a perfect parent. That being said, 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 states:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. (NIV version)

(Paul’s Parental Version)  If I offer the best child rearing advice, but have not love, I am only a 2 year old banging on pots in the kitchen. If I read many, many, many books on child rising and attend parenting class but have not love, I am nothing. If I spend every cent I have to provide for my children but have not love, I lose a lot!!!

 

LOVE:

 

99.95% of most parents say they love their kids. My question for you and myself are our children seeing love in action in our homes? I find within myself an amazing capacity to be critical of my son. I see positives in him but probably could tell him more often of these positives. Positive strengthening of my son instead of always harping on his weaknesses. Doesn’t Corinthians speak of “Love building up”?

 

Let me take this one step further, shouldn’t our children see their parents love each other? That’s a little easier when you have a 2 parent home, but what if your divorced? Often the child may here either one of the divorced parents slandering, being negative about the other parent. Often divorced parents don’t show love for each other…the children see and note all of this.

 

One of the best things a child can see is there parents loving each other. Children might get grossed out when they see their parents kiss, but they are much happier when they know their parents are in love. Let me ask you this: What’s the one thing you CAN take to heaven with you?

a)      Money

b)      Your job

c)       House

d)      Children

If you answered children, you’re correct I can’t think of a greater responsibility for a parent than to do all he or she can to lead a child to Christ and train him or her to serve Him. We can usually make time for what we really want to do. Spending time with our children needs to be made a priority. We only have a limited amount of time to be a positive influence in the lives of your children.

DISCIPLINE:

I read a study online that stated: “Pediatricians and psychologists are finding today’s parents are too permissive. They are reluctant to set limits for their children. And this parental neglect is harming kids from the ages of nine months to adolescence.”

This is where I am weak…discipline of my son.  I have to keep reminding myself of this verse: “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it” Hebrews 12:11

When I read this next verse, I went out and bought me a new fishing pole. “Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death” Pr. 23:13-14

Discipline must be exercised in such a way as to lead children to respect their parents. It must not be done in anger or frustration, inconsistent, unreasonable, excessive, etc. Are you setting proper boundaries for your children? When those boundaries are broken, are you disciplining them in love? You can give your children all sorts of nice things, but what they need most is your love and discipline.

Like I said, I’m not the perfect parent…who is.

 

 

No comments: