Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Spelunking


When I was a young boy scout, my Assistant Scoutmaster was really into spelunking. That is the fancy term for cave dwelling by the way. I absolutely loved climbing in and exploring the different caves within our area and we even drove to different states to visit some of the most famous caves in the areas.
One of my favorite caves was the corkscrew cave in Virginia; you climb on your belly from one end to another. Just enough room for a large adult to squeeze through….what a thrill that was. No places to stand or turn around, once you committed to the climb…you were in it to the end. So your probably wondering what I am getting at here, why am I talking about caves.
Caves are where people find themselves when all of their life supports, all of the things they relied on, all of their dreams, are stripped away! Caves are where people find themselves when they had thought to do great things, to have a wonderful family, to go "boldly where no man or, woman has gone before," only to realize or discover that things simply were not going to work out as planned! Caves appear to be the place of choice for those of us who would engage in having major "pity parties”.
King David found himself in a cave. 1 Samuel 22:1 – 5 When David got to this cave he had lost his wife; lost his friends; lost his job; lost his prestige and self-worth; lost his income; lost his dreams; lost his income; lost his dreams and lost his confidence. David was at an all-time low and probably the furthest he has ever been from God.
Can you relate to any of his “being lost”, I am sure you have been in one or two of those situations yourself and climbed into your own caves. I lived in my “man cave” for almost 2 years before I finally realized what I was doing and climbed out. So….how do we get out of the caves we have crawled into? I’m glad you asked.
Psalms 142:1 – 7 I cry aloud with my voice to the LORD; I make supplication with my voice to the LORD. I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare my trouble before Him. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, Thou didst know my path. In the way where I walk they have hidden a trap for me. Look to the right and see; for there is no one who regards me; there is no escape for me; No one cares for my soul. I cried out to Thee, O LORD; I said, "Thou art my refuge, my portion in the land of the living. “Give heed to my cry, for I am brought very low; Deliver me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me. "Bring my soul out of prison, So that I may give thanks to Thy name; the righteous will surround me, For Thou wilt deal bountifully with me."
Here David prayed…You can cry at the Lord, or to the Lord. Make it about God’s name. Spread out your complaint before Him, not complain to Him. God will make us to see what we have, and to stop focusing on what we don’t.
You remember the show, “Beverly Hillbillies”? {Singing}…Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed, Then one day he was shootin’ at some food, And up through the ground came a bubblin’ crude…Oil that is…Black gold…Texas tea. First thing you know old Jed’s a millionaire...
It is the story of poor hillbilly who had millions of dollars right under his feet, yet lived in poverty, until one day by accident he discovered it. In like manner David needed to see what he had, not to focus on what he didn’t have. Since David had no work he concentrated on the spiritual part of his life. He wrote and sang Psalms.  David wrote three Psalms while in the cave. Paul wrote numerous epistles while in prison. Make down time financially work for you as up time spiritually. What defines you and your destiny is not your circumstances, it is not your past, but God’s promises. 
David did 4 things to get out of that cave: He prayed; he focused on what he did have; he left the cave of sulking and he humbled himself. When David left the cave he was still smarting from what happened to him, especially the situation with his wife, there is evidence he carried that pain for a very long time. The important thing is that he didn't let it stop him. We all have had difficult things happen, should we let them stop us?

My future is not determined by the troubles of my past, but by God’s promises of my future.
Pray for the Cave Dwellers, it’s time to stand up - right!

No comments: