Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Monday, July 11, 2011

IT's not my Fault!



You are wearing a shirt that needs to be ironed. Instead of taking it off, you try to iron with it on and guess what? That’s right, you get burned. (I’ve done this but let’s not go there. ) So you call your lawyer and sue the manufacturer of the iron.

You pull through McDonalds for some HOT coffee. While trying to drive your car, eat your Egg McMuffun, you spill your HOT coffee all over yourself. It’s McDonalds fault for making that coffee too hot!

We blame fast food restaurants for making us fat. We blame tobacco companies for giving us cancer. We blame the church for our lack of spiritual growth. We blame God for the results of our poor choices.

Ridiculous right? The truth is this happens everyday and some of the stories are even more radical than the ones I have given here. So, who really is to blame? Who is really at fault here? Most of the time it’s through our misjudgments and errors, keyword: OURS. (I refuse to use the words stupid, moronic or idiocy. We are Gods kids, were better than that!)

Some blame it on the lawyers for giving us the opportunity to take legal action; some fault the political and economical situation the government has put us in; some blame their parents and/or upbringing. Some just blame God, like they think he has it out for them. But whose fault is it really?

In Genesis, Eve had given Adam the fruit and the serpent had deceived Eve. Don’t they have valid excuses? Adam could say, “Don’t blame me, I didn’t take the fruit from the tree; she gave me some fruit and I ate it. I wouldn’t have eaten it if it hadn’t been for that woman.” Eve said, “Don’t blame me. I was tricked into eating it. I wouldn’t have eaten it if it hadn’t been for that serpent.”

Are they responsible? They knew the rules!
Genesis 2:16,17, 3:17:
And the LORD God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’ “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life.
(I was thinking while writing this that this would be a great place to tell a joke. BUT, this is no joke!)



They had a choice. Since they knew the rule and the consequence for breaking that rule, they were given fair warning and therefore, left without excuse. The serpent played a role in Eve eating the fruit and Eve played a role in Adam eating the fruit but ultimately, the choice was each of theirs.

They had the power necessary to resist temptation. They were given incentive to stay away. Spiritual death should’ve been a good incentive to stay away from something. Besides, they had access to everything else. Aren’t some of us earthlings just like that though. Even when we have everything that we need to live an abundant life, we still want more?


In Exodus 32:1-24:
Verse 7: Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’

Verse 22: “Do not be angry, my lord,” Aaron answered. “You know how prone these people are to evil. They said to me, ‘Make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.’ So I told them, ‘Whoever has any gold jewelry, take it off.’ Then they gave me the gold, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf!”

Aaron said to Moses , “Hey, these people wanted a god. You know how they are; what was I supposed to do? You were gone, up on that mountain all this time; don’t blame me. In fact, blame the furnace because all I did was throw the gold in there and out came this calf.”

We will go to great lengths to try to shift the blame. We concoct elaborate stories to keep from owning up to our wrongdoing. Then, when the heat (pun intended) is on we need to come up with new lies to collaborate with the old lies. What a tangled web we weave when we desire to deceive.

We have this tendency to blame our parents for all our defects of character. Many of the traits we produce are learned behaviors we saw displayed through our parents actions. But we have to stop blaming them and start accepting responsibility.

Our society tells us that we don’t have to take responsibility for our actions. We can blame someone else. We say, I don’t have to accept any responsibility; I’m the victim. We continue to sin and blame it on what happened to us years ago.

I can’t go back to church because I was hurt there before. I can’t shake this habit because it’s been going on for so long. I can’t stop feeling sorry for myself because everybody else is against me.

We also blame God when we say things like, God, if I had more money I would tithe. God, if I had a car I could find a job. God you know I tried a couple of times and nothing happened so I guess you don’t want me to succeed. Well, God, I tried to wait but you’re not moving fast enough so I guess I’ll have to do it myself. When we act, or fail to act according to God’s will and it doesn’t work out, it’s God’s fault. We’re to blame if we don’t seek God’s direction or accept God’s timing.

Often times we’re quick to blame God when things go wrong and slow to thank him when things go right. Instead of blaming God for allowing evil, our attitude should be thanking Him that it isn’t worse. When God allowed Satan to go after Job, he allowed him to go only so far. Satan is on God’s leash. If God took Satan off his leash there would be a surge of unimaginable evil inflicted upon us all. Playing all these games with God keeps us from understanding and appreciating God.

The “it’s not my fault” game doesn’t make things better; it makes them worse. When we blame others we avoid taking responsibility for our actions and when we do that, we will never grow. And when we blame God we see Him incorrectly and we fail to see Him for who He really is-a loving God whose desire is to see us stop blaming and start living a blameless life.

Men and woman of action! It’s only your fault if you take your eyes off God and try to do it yourself!

No comments: