Men of Action - Welcome

God Bless you!

Please read my writings with an open mind and heart.

Enjoy reading.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Non-Conforming Chrisitians

“I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly without complexities or pride. I love you because I know no other way then this. So close that your hand, on my chest, is my hand. So close, that when you close your eyes, I fall asleep.”
Patch Adams

When Robin Williams said this in the movie by the same title, I was in awe. This is exactly how I feel (most of the time) concerning our Lord Jesus Christ. Every time I read this quote it sends shivers down my spine and brings a tear to my eye (eyes).

This was a wonderful movie and although a little weird in parts, as a whole a very good movie. It’s about a non-conformist named Patch who, after some mental difficulties, decides to become a medical doctor. His thought process is that Hospitals have lost there connection with there patients, all they do is treat diseases. Patch doesn’t believe all that, and tries to change it by treating the patient through humor and being friendly.

Treating the patient and not the disease, WOW!!! You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you’ll win, no matter what the outcome. We should be improving the quality of life, not just delaying death.

What's wrong with death? What are we so mortally afraid of? Why can't we treat death with a certain amount of humanity and love, and decency, maybe even humor. Death is not the enemy, if we're going to fight disease, let's fight one of the most terrible diseases of all, indifference.

What’s this entire thing have to do with my inside job???

Not conforming to this world!

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Romans 12:1-2 (KJV)


When I was growing up, my father was a very determined man. He played football in High School and College and expected all 4 of his son’s to do the same. I was a non conformist; I had absolutely no interest in playing football. In my child’s mind, I was being pressured to do something that I didn’t want to do. I rebelled in my own way, I joined the soccer team.

This angered my father to no end and he constantly berated me for it. Did I play soccer because I loved it or to get back at my father? Both, I actually grew very fond of the game. My father didn’t support me in soccer; never went to my practices/games; I purchased my own equipment and even had to find my own ride to the field.

This didn’t bother me at all and I actually enjoyed doing it myself. I may have not been treated like the rest of my brothers but I enjoyed beating my own drum. No pun intended, I did play percussion in the band. That was another attempt at being a non-conforming son and that’s another story.

Little did I know, I started my walk towards being like Jesus. The Jewish priests saw these Christians, believers of the Lord Jesus Christ as disobedient non-conforming Jews. I’ll go with being disobedient!

“Sometimes the reward for non-conforming is joy in what you are doing and loving yourself.”

So, where am I going with this? It’s simply better to break out of prison after you realize you’re locked up. I realized the mold my father was trying to put me in early in life and refused to conform to his way of thinking. I’m not saying all fathers have bad intentions or that he was wrong in wanting me to play football. Rebelling against your parents is not a good idea.

Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. 21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
Col 3:20-21 (KJV)

The 20th verse of Colossians is simple biblical truth; we are to obey our parents. Most of us want to please the Lord and in this lays the key. We must obey our fathers for he is the Head of the family just as Christ is the head of the church.

In the 21st verse he speaks of not provoking our children to anger. When my father asked me to play football it wasn’t a request but an order.


Ephesians 6:2 (KJV)


I have long since forgiven my father but never had the chance to tell him. We all make mistakes in life, causing wounds and scars to form and miss out on certain joys and love given to us. We move on, heal and learn from our mistakes.

If we keep doing things like we've always done them, what we'll get is what we've already got.

Being a non-conformist is not a bad thing as long as the true and living Word of God is what your living by daily. Remember, only dead fish swim with the stream.

No comments: